Monday, December 3, 2012

Checking It Twice (An Editing Checklist)

A working Checklist for scene edits...kind of like Santa's naughty or nice list -- except mine's a ways-to-make-the-scene-better list -- ensures that I check each scene for potential improvement.

The Anchoring section of the list includes:

- POV
- WHEN
- WHERE
- VOICE
- DIALOGUE

For each scene, I make sure the scene is anchored in the Point of View (POV) character's view, in the when of the scene, and in the where of the scene. Also, ensuring the character's voice is prominent and individual for their POV scenes, as well as that their dialogue sounds the way that particular character would talk, is part of my anchoring process.

The Details include:
- BEGINNING AND ENDING SCENE HOOKS
- EXPOSITION
- DETAILS
- EMOTION

My goal is to make each scene better. Hmm, maybe Santa was on to something. A hat-tip and my heartfelt thanks to Santa and Cathy Yardley's Rock Your Revisions, for encouraging me to checking my Scene Editing Checklist twice.

No comments: