Monday, July 22, 2013

Reality Sets In: It's a Book!

Over the last few weeks, I have been revising a book, chapter by chapter. Today, I pulled all the individual chapter files into one single file...and I have, ta-da and to my amazement, a BOOK.

Okay, I'm slow on the uptake at times, but knowing you're writing a book and having the entire manuscript of the book in your hands... Ooh boy, talk about bringing reality home. An honest to goodness (cohesive, well-plotted, developmentally sound) book!

In Times New Roman 14-Point (to ease overtired eyes) and at 400 pages, the manuscript sits three finger-widths deep and waiting. Gulp and wow, just wow...

First, I pretend I'm a reader, and read the pages for enjoyment, only noting those sections that might lag or need further revision.

Second, I read for character voice. Does the character's POV "sound" like the character in individual POV chapters and in dialog?

Thirdly, I polish, adding metaphors and similes and improving style.

Then comes a focus on pacing... Does a scene ending need to be tightened or sections of the chapter sentences shortened? Is the pacing of chapters varied and forward-moving? What adjustments (shorter paragraphs, shorter sentences, shorter words) need to be made to increase pacing to build to the book's climax?

After that, the entire manuscript gets analyzed via AutoCrit (autocrit.com) to catch overused words and phrases repeated throughout the book in its entirety.

Next, back to 12-point font size, the book is ready for a chapter break review and spell checking.

Lastly, I attach the BOOK to an email and send the attachment to a professional fiction editor, a few beta readers, and then move on to the next revision project.

Busy times ahead.

Also, if the attached photo is any indication, I anticipate a few roadblocks... Wait, maybe the little guy is there for support... Nah.

And look, do you see that stack of paper there next to Lightning Boy? That's a manuscript, an honest to goodness book. Yeah, baby, it's a book!

No comments: