Thursday, July 25, 2013

Step Away and Get More Done!

In spending less time at the computer, I'm getting much more done writing- and revision-wise on the computer. That sounds odd, I know.

You see, I've been experimenting with taking breaks away from the computer, and amazingly, my revising is progressing at a faster pace. Rather than sit at the computer for 12 hours or more a day with few breaks, I write in 1 1/2-hour time blocks.

During that 1 1/2 hours, that's all I do. Revise. It's a drill-down focus on the chapter in front of me. Revise, move on the next chapter. Revise. It's an intense hyper focus on writing for that hour and a half.

After years of extended hours in front of the computer job-wise, I find it difficult to actually take breaks and walk away from the keyboard; therefore, I am utilizing TimesUpKidz software to enforce 30-minute breaks every 1 1/2 hours.

During break time, I nap, read, bake, clean, declutter, exercise, play with the puppy, go in search of hubby hugs, etc.

The book Be Excellent at Anything: The Four Keys To Transforming the Way We Work and [Kindle Edition] explains the process in more detail. 

Bottom line, I am getting more done and am much less stressed and far less fatigued. In stepping away, I am accomplishing and enjoying more.

As hard as I pushed during my day jobs, I so wish I'd learned this technique way back when, but I'm on to it now, so if you'll excuse me, I'm stepping away...

No comments: