Thursday, March 14, 2013

In Training - Time to Write

I have resisted with much effort using a timer as a tool to accomplish my fiction writing tasks -- as in no-way-no-how-you-can't-make-me-do-this-dig-in-heels resistance. Yet, for the past week, because I am so much more productive writing in short stints, I have been training to write using a timer.

During the last several days, I have been applying a combination of Rachel Aaron's 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writer Better, and Writing More of What You Love's ($0.99 Kindle Edition) and Ian Stable's Big Results in Less Time: The time management productivity plan that gets top results - How to get things done in the shortest time for the greatest results ($2.99 Kindle Edition) techniques.

As you can see from the tracking chart I've adapted from Rachel Aaron's process. Since I know that I draft better on the chaise lounge and revise better at the desk, I eliminated the location column. Instead of tracking # of words written, I track by chapter (for instance I might complete 1 1/2 chapters in 3 hours and 25 minutes).

 

With ten (10) chapters written in five (5) days, there's no denying that this the most prolific route for me to pursue. Writing more in less time is this writer gal's goal, so despite my great resistance, I must pursue what works and what assists me in achieving that goal.

First off, writing in timed blocks feels awkward and restrictive. Secondly, attempting to write within such short time-spans tends to be anxiety inducing. Thirdly, the fact that the technique works is supported by the tracking results. And finally, if it works, then despite my initial discomfort, I need to immerse myself in only allowing myself to write for fifteen minutes at a time.

Going into the second week to of this learning phase, this writer gal's gotta do what a writer gal's gotta do. Train and write.

No comments: