Tuesday, August 28, 2012

So You Want to Write a Book? Being an 80-Percenter

According to the statistics I've been able to research, 80% of people want to write a book, and of those that want to write a book, only 1% actually do.

I am an 80-percenter.

Yes, I have written a first draft; however, my book is not yet finished, and will more than likely go through three or more drafts.

I've finished a cohesive first draft, and that draft goes to a developmental editor the second week of September. Then, I will edit according to the editor's suggestions, then polish the writing for a second draft.

And even though, I have technical copy editing experience, the book will be copy-edited by a professional editor to provide a second set of eyes for the third draft.

Once the manuscript is ready for publication, THEN and only then, will I consider that I have actually written a book.

With health issues that involve difficulties in focus and concentration, the past few weeks have been a struggle, however I did finish Book #1 of Series #1, and have started Book #2 of Series #1.

My goal is to get back on track by making index cards my friends for the next couple of days, then will begin a writing routine of 1,000 words per day, and will build up from there. My additional goal is to turn in the first draft to the developmental editor this upcoming Saturday; therefore, I need to work on that in the evenings.

Working toward transitioning from an 80-percenter to a 1-percenter is just that -- work.

Will I get there?

I want to and hope to do so. I am committed, and I'm determined.

One day at a time.

No comments: