Wednesday, August 8, 2012

When Writing Hurts - That's So Not My Type

The Novella I've been writing is in a genre in which I've never before written.

While I enjoyed plotting and have been enjoying some aspects of writing the book, there are some aspects that when I sit down to write, I am reminded of how I feel right before going to the dentist when you know there are needles and a drill involved.

I've heard it all. Romance sells. Erotica sells. Horror sells. Thrillers sell. Suspense sells. Etc., etc., etc.

So with much enthusiasm, I tried my hand in a genre for the first time.

The experience has not been pleasant. I don't think it's that I can't write in that genre. I'm pretty sure I could fake my way through and make myself finish the Novella. But I wonder if I feel as I'm forcing myself to write, wouldn't it stand to reason that the reader would perceive that my heart is not in it and my enthusiasm was lagging?

Light bulb moment!

That particular genre -- right now and as of yet -- is not the best genre for me to write. I gave this genre a good try. Maybe this genre will be one that I return to at a later time.

I would suggest that, as writers, we write what we're excited about, what angers us, what's in our hearts, what we have a passion for and are enthusiastic about.

As far as what sells, if we write what we truly want to and are meant to write, the sales will follow, don't you think?

No comments: