Thursday, September 13, 2012

Notecarding Fun!

Author Holly Lisle has a great explanation of the Notecarding process and does an awesome job of describing the process I use.

One thing that I have added to Ms. Lisle's technique is that I color-code the index cards by Point of Views (POVs), so that I can get a better visual of the scene layout, as follows:

- White: Main Plot Points (Main Character's POV)
- Light Green: Junior (Main Character)
- Light Blue: Character A
- Light Orange: Character B
- Light Yellow: Character C
- Light Purple: Character D
- Light Pink: Character E

Most of my scenes average between 1,000 and 2,000 words, with the overall novel running at a minimum of 60,000 to 70,000 words, which means, using 1,000 words as my baseline, I will have a total of 60 to 70 scenes.

Since I have a general idea of where the story needs to go (my main plot points are in place, thanks to Rock Your Plot), I start brainstorming and writing down one sentence descriptions of scenes. Anything goes. I will discard some, use most. Bottom line, I am storytelling in a simple, straightforward way.

So, I'm off to play with Index Cards, because they are my friends, and have me some Notecarding Fun!

No comments: