Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Different Kind of Freedom

This blog post could be titled, How a $10 Internet Blocking Productivity Software Changed My Life, but I thought, Nah, too pretentious.

From 15 minutes up to 480 minutes (8 hours), Freedom software blocks your computer from accessing the Internet. You can still use all of the other functions on your computer -- just no Internet access during the time Freedom is activated.

And during that time, I am free from distraction and am able to focus on writing. No social networking, no email checking, no surfing the net. Just me and a blank page. No getting back on the Internet UNTIL the time I set expires (unless I reboot my computer). 

"Your book. Your grades. Your goals.
Your time is too valuable to waste. For the cost of two lattes, Freedom will help you fight evil distractions so you can get your work done." (from the Freedom website)

For those self-determined time-frames I am free -- to write.

Thank you, Freedom, and Happy Fourth of July to all!

No comments: