Monday, July 16, 2012

Morning, Noon, and Night - Not So Much

I'm not a morning person, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise that when I started paying attention to when and where I write that mornings are my least productive times.

In an attempt to find what works best for me, I've been tracking how many words I write when and where.

The majority of what I write during the day is written after 12:00 PM. Before noon, I have been averaging 700 words or less. From 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM seems to be the daily sweet spot where I get my writerly juices flowing.

When I think of all those years of trying to get up two hours before work and to make myself write first thing in the morning because I had been told that was the RIGHT way to write, I cringe.

For right now, morning is not a productive writing time for me, so starting today, my focus will be to write in the afternoons and evenings, during the hours in which I am most productive.

While mornings may be the most productive part of the day for some writers, for me, not so much.

No comments: