Sunday, July 15, 2012

Making a Scene

While Fast Drafting, I am reminded that some scenes require greater focus and more time to write.

For some writers, it's fight scenes, where the confrontational and oppositional movement of characters must be choreographed in their minds and translated to words.

For others, it may be love scenes or sensual scenes, which must not sound clinical or clunky and have to be relatable to the reader.

Deeply emotional scenes present similar challenges because in order to describe the emotions, a writer must feel or at least relate intently to the characters emotions, then show how the character feels, rather than tell what the character is experiencing.

Today, I am working on several of these slow-going, intense scenes.

Every few minutes, I close my eyes, imagine the scene taking place, see it, feel it, experience it, then type. In order to get the scene down in detail, I write in short bursts, then go back to the scene in my head again. It's slow going, but I'm getting there.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there were a device like in Stephen King's The Tommyknockers, where you attach a device to your typewriter (now a days a keyboard) and the device translates and types the book directly from your brain onto the page?

Until that day, I'll keep on writing, fingers on the keyboard, striving to make a scene.

No comments: