Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fast Drafting - Pedal to the Metal

For the last few days, I have been Fast Drafting. I sit down and type as many words or pages as possible in a set amount of time, to get the book out of my head and onto the page.

This morning, I just realized (okay, I know I'm sometimes slow on the uptake), that at 5,000 words per day, I could realistically finish a 70,000 novel IN TWO WEEKS! (I wonder if I actually could? 2 weeks for a first draft. I do love a challenge.)

The Free Dictionary states that Pedal to the Metal means "to make something go forward or increase as fast as possible" and gives and example of "Ingrid put the pedal to the metal and finished writing her essay a day early."

So, for me, Fast Drafting means:
  • No Internet
  • No phone
  • No re-reading
  • No editing
In addition to the boundaries above, I've found that what works for me is:
When I started fast drafting, I wrote 400 words or so an hour (which is about the best I was able to manage while working full-time). In putting Fast Drafting into practice, my word count has increased to 1,000 words an hour. (Something I never thought possible because of my plodding writing ways!)

If you will excuse me now, I'm going to go put the pedal to the medal, and hopefully word by word, get these books out of my head and onto the page!

No comments: